Upgrade a Laravel Package from 5.1 to 5.2
The Laravel Package 5.2 Shift automates the upgrade of your Laravel package from Laravel 5.1 to Laravel 5.2. Using the Laravel Package 5.2 Shift to automatically upgrade your Laravel package has an estimated time savings of 2 hours.
A Laravel package running Laravel 5.1.
The Laravel Package 5.2 Shift automates many of the upgrades listed in the Laravel Upgrade Guide, including:
- Removing the
SelfHandlinginterface from Commands and Jobs.
- Changing uses of
- Upgrading object references for Laravel 5.2.
composer.jsonfor Laravel 5.2.
In addition to the Core Upgrades, the Laravel Package 5.2 Shift performs additional upgrade beyond those listed in the Laravel Upgrade Guide, including:
- Adopting the PSR-2 coding style to match the coding style in Laravel.
- Modernizing PHP syntax, such as the short array syntax.
- Removing outdated framework components from your application.
There are some upgrades the Laravel Package 5.2 Shift can not perform automatically. When Shift detects these upgrades it adds a detailed comment on the Pull Request to help guide the manual upgrade.
- Several of the Collection methods changed in Laravel 5.2. Given the dynamic nature of PHP and the various ways to implement these methods in Laravel, Shift can not reliably update these method calls automatically.
- Eloquent and its integration with MySQL changed in Laravel 5.2. Since Laravel applications integrate databases differently, Shift does not currently perform these upgrades.