The Laravel 5.4 Shift automates the upgrade of your Laravel application from Laravel 5.3 to Laravel 5.4. Using the Laravel 5.4 Shift to automatically upgrade your Laravel application has an estimated time savings of 2 hours.
A Laravel application running Laravel 5.3.
The Laravel 5.4 Shift automates many of the upgrades listed in the Laravel Upgrade Guide, including:
- Adding new core Middleware for Laravel 5.4.
- Converting old Collection, Eloquent, and Session methods for Laravel 5.4.
- Updating references to old classes to their Laravel 5.4 versions.
- Detecting backward incompatibilities within your application code.
- Namespacing Tests for Laravel 5.4.
composer.jsonfor Laravel 5.4.
In addition to the Core Upgrades, the Laravel 5.4 Shift performs additional upgrade beyond those listed in the Laravel Upgrade Guide, including:
- Adopting the PSR-2 coding style to match the coding style in Laravel.
- Modernizing PHP syntax, such as the short array syntax.
- Converting string based class references to
- Updating core config files to their Laravel 5.4 versions.
There are some upgrades the Laravel 5.4 Shift can not perform automatically. When Shift detects these upgrades it adds a detailed comment on the Pull Request to help guide the manual upgrade.
- Laravel 5.4 includes several new default assets. Since your application likely customizes these assets, Shift does not change these files.
- Laravel 5.4 rewrote it's testing layer to use Laravel Dusk. Your application may need to be configured to run these previous tests.